Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Winter West Virginia Weekend

This past weekend, we visited my sister, Diana, in West Virginia.  We didn't get to see them over Christmas, so this was sort of a belated holiday for us. The drive down was blessedly snow-free (we weren't so lucky on the way back) and Calvin slept most of the way.  When he got a little impatient toward the end of the trip, my mom, who caught a ride with us, did so well calming him from the back seat.  

It was wonderful seeing my oldest sister and her family, and spending some time away from home with a great hostess.  Calvin had grown a good bit since Diana had last seen him (for his birthday), and she was delighted to see him running around, hear him talking and experience all of the new things he can do now.

Friday night, we arrived around 10:00, and us girls stayed up absurdly late, chatting and watching TV, as is our custom.  Saturday morning was leisurely; after a late breakfast, Diana and I headed out for a workout at her gym.  It was awesome!  I hadn't worked out in a gym in years, and it was so fun having a buddy next to me.  I got a good total-body workout, plus some cardio, and although I was sore afterward  (I probably tried to show off a little), it felt really good.  So good, in fact, that Brian and I just joined our local branch of the same gym!

After our workout, we grabbed showers, then all the girls, plus Calvin, went out to do some mall shopping.  Really, it was more for getting in some time together, and giving Calvin some room to run around and burn off some excess energy (closely supervised, of course).  
He had a great time, and sure enough, he shopped til he dropped.

Just some of the many deer we saw






We then returned home and made dinner (well, Diana and my mom did, haha) and got in some more quality family time, before heading off to bed.

Sunday was another lazy morning, full of coffee, breakfast and relaxation. Calvin warmed up to Diana's dogs, especially Oakley, the enthusiastic young basset hound who's particularly fond of giving kisses.  We left in the afternoon, and made it home just fine, even through a snowstorm (I'm very used to driving in that stuff).

All in all, we had a lovely time, and I was so happy that Diana and her family got to experience Calvin at his current stage of development explosion, and of course it's always awesome to spend time with family.  Just wish it could happen more often.

I am loving... 

...Nonna with her baby grandson.




Leisurely breakfasts.






Photos of beautifully colored birds, squirrels that steal birdseed, and curious pups.





Finding beauty in everyday objects.






Dogs that beg for the baby's food.




Moments of sacred simplicity.




Baby naked time.  ;)

And most of all, this boy, who constantly steals my heart and makes me incredulous he's really mine.  Love.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!