Friday, February 22, 2013

The Fourth Trimester?


Although it is by nature a misnomer, many people refer to the first three months of a child's life as the fourth trimester.  Essentially this means that the first three months are a virtual extension of a baby's life inside the mother's womb, as far as their needs go.  
My little fourth trimester newborn
Now that Calvin is just about 3 months old (on Feb. 28!), I'm reflecting back on his first three months.  Only for the first month would I say that Cal was in fourth trimester mode.  He was a pretty chill baby from the start, but also frequently needy (as breastfed newborns tend to be).
Just a few days old
Right from the start two truths emerged: Calvin loves to eat, and loves to be held.  This made for a pretty rigorous 6 weeks of maternity leave for me, not that I minded, but it was quite a change to get used to, considering I'm a first-time mama.  It didn't take long, though, for us both to get to know each other and find our groove.
We're pros now!
Nursing and lots of physical contact (through holding/ wearing Cal) have been crucially important to me from the start.  I don't necessarily subscribe fully to any particular baby care theory out there, and I don't feel any need to label how I choose to care for Cal.  But I feel that these two things especially contribute to a happy, peaceful baby, and for me, our bonding skyrockets when he's in my arms (whether nursing or not).  Since I'm a working mom, and I obviously can't hold and nurse him while we're apart, I try to make up for it in the evenings and weekends.  Our time together is so precious!  Mothering has felt very natural for me, for which I am so grateful.
Yay babywearing!
On a lighter note, I have to mention (at Brian's request) that Calvin loves to pass gas.  Sometimes after a fart, he'll smile and even giggle!  He's definitely Brian's son.  And it's pretty hilarious when he simultaneously coughs and farts - we have a cat who does that, too.  :D

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog, Lisa! Hearing all the little details makes me feel like I can get to know Calvin even though I'm not there. Really cute babywearing picture, haha. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!